Thursday, April 2, 2009

ECAL and ECCS calls for papers

Just thought I'd share two calls for papers for conferences that I will be / have submitted to this year.

The European Conference on Complex Systems (ECCS09) will be held from 21-25 September 2009, at the University of Warwick, UK. I've never been to ECCS before, but I've heard good things from several people about it. I like the way it appears to be a real melting pot of all areas of complex systems science, so I'm looking forward to seeing some interesting perspectives there. On that note, I think there will be some interesting applications related papers there, e.g. in the Policy, Planning and Infrastructure track. I also like the tiered submission structure, where you can submit 2, 6 or 15 page papers, and (if accepted) get a poster, 20 min or 40 min presentation: it gives you choice, and appropriate relative reward for work. We've submitted a paper on cascading failures in energy networks (more details if we're accepted). The first submission deadline has passed, though they have two more deadlines coming up (19/4 and 3/5): apparently slots will be filled on a "first arrival - frist serve policy".

The 10th European Conference on Artificial Life (ECAL2009) will be held from September 13-16 2009 in Budapest, Hungary. I was at the last ECAL in Lisbon in 2007 and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a good crowd, with a nice mix of biologists and computer scientists. We're currently working on a paper combining some of my work on information dynamics with my PhD colleague Mahendra Piraveenan's work on network topological measures: this is something I had wanted to do for a while, but isn't in the form I thought it would be (nothing wrong with that though). More details if we're accepted. Anyway, ECAL are now following the lead of ALifeXI in allowing abstract only submissions (which I think is fine in principle), and allowing both to have presentation slots (this I'm not sure about - I had the impression that some, not all, of what came through the abstract only channel was under-prepared; I prefer the ECCS approach). Paper submission is by April 30.

Hope to see you there! (assuming we get accepted...)

No comments:

 
;