Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Carbon tax shenanigans

It's been a little strange watching all the debate at home about the incoming carbon tax. The commentators on the right are getting so frothy-mouthed and vicious about the whole thing. Hardly a surprise I suppose.

The weirdest thing is the loss of perspective. I think it's best summarised in this blog post (tip to Elliot):
http://www.heathenscripture.com/you-shut-your-goddamn-carbon-taxin-mouth/

It's a great shot of perspective there. And I have to agree - if you can't afford $10 a week out of your $100k+ income for something for your kids' futures like this, my heart bleeds. Really.

I also wanted to share something I saw on the BBC news this morning. After a story on the impending (real) Italian financial crisis, they reported that consumer confidence in Australia had reached a low point, noting with unhidden incredulity that this was despite (and I paraphrase) "near zero unemployment, strong growth and record standard of living" but seemed "related to fears about a carbon tax". It's difficult not to feel embarrassed about that.

1 comment:

Oliver said...

The outrage over AU$10 a week is a clear indication of wrong priorities: I wonder where are all the complaints about the surcharges you pay for buying stuff in Australia, from Australian businesses. Books - cheaper anywhere else. (Australian made) clothes (Billabong etc) - cheaper in the US. The price I pay here for staying at a crappy Hotel in Australia gets me a decent stay elsewhere. The same computer hardware ordered overseas from any random shop is cheaper (including delivery and a 10% GST margin) than from any shop in Australia. For foreign vehicles it's even worse (unfortunately you can't order them on Amazon yet): a BMW K1600GT is the equivalent of AU$20k in the US, AU$25k in the UK, but AU$37k over here. A BMW M5 overseas is AU$80k, but AU$240k in Australia. So yes, we're being ripped off, but I'm pretty sure it's not the taxes Why do Australians pay too much? Because they can, it seems.

 
;